The Department of Philosophy
The Department of Philosophy was established in 1966. This makes it one of the oldest full-fledged academic philosophy departments in Nigeria. Students intake increased over the years. By 1977, the department was graduating an average of 100 students annually. The Department is fully accredited by the National Universities Commission (NUC). In 2006, it was rated as the best academic department in Nigeria.
Studies In Philosophy
The value and importance of the study of philosophy lies in the depth of vision it encourages. Philosophy offers a broader perspective on human experiences, lives and activities. It is one of the purest of the intellectual disciplines. Its interest and value lies in its ability to enhance our understanding of ourselves and our world. Philosophy has a lifelong value for all students who undertake its study in the following ways:
- It enhances one’s analytical, critical and interpretative abilities.
- It enhances one’s ability to express oneself clearly and to formulate and respond to arguments in speech and writing.
- It provides one with general problem – solving skills, skills in analyzing concepts, definitions, arguments and problems.
- It helps the individual to organize ideas and issues, and to extract what is central from a mass of information.
- It helps one to make fine distinctions and find common ground between opposing positions.
- It enables us to understand other disciplines better, etc.